Friday, April 30, 2010

Bag Lady, Who Me?


I was sitting in my co-worker Sarah's office the other day and we were discussing the upcoming "What's in a Bag" event she has been working on. You know, it’s a silent and live auction of gorgeous handbags next Thursday, at our Cambridge store, where all the proceeds go to the Mass Coalition for the Homeless. Anyway, it really got me thinking about bags. Do I have a bag obsession? Maybe. I think my friends do for sure! I have a few good friends who are so obsessed with color-coordinating their bags with their outfits. Little over the top, I think. Who is that awake in the morning? I’m lucky if I put two matching socks on!

You need to understand that buying a new bag is a pretty easy and stressfree sale for me – no trying on in front of a full length mirror! Oh, isn’t that the best! So I’ve been known to go over "budget" on a bag here or there (wow, I hate that word "budget"). Now I don’t consider myself a label-conscious person, I buy for the romance of it all. I actually have fallen in love with certain bags for some reason or another. Maybe it’s the color, maybe it’s the Italian leather, maybe it’s the smell, maybe it’s all the cool and handy pockets you can put everything you own in and you will finally be organized. Yeah, right! You can’t imagine what people walk around with in their bags. The bigger the bag is, the more I tend to throw everything in. Need a hair dryer? No problem, I have one right here in my bag. Looking for a bottle of fish oil? Sarah has a Costco-size bottle in her beautiful T.J. Max bag. Maria has a sippy cup and a plastic bag of Cheerios and Fig Newtons. Judy has 3 brushes, 2 combs and a lipstick from 1994. See what I mean about everything?

One of my all time favorite bags is a fantastic fabric valise with a patch of a martini glass where the olives are sliding down a stripper poll. Now, if you have read any of my previous buzzes you know how much I love to order martinis "dirty" (and of course exercising and watching the food channel) I just enjoy saying “dirty” out loud!

I went out the other night and found myself "bag watching". People sport some pretty incredible bags these days. Gym bags, diaper bags, tote bags, laptop bags, overnight bags, clutches - some very utilitarian, some very chic-chic. Messenger bags are very hip and they cross all genders, where man-purses really didn't make it big in the states, did they? Maybe the iPad will change all that! As mentioned before, some women carry their life in their bags and sizes can be enormous – definitely future back and shoulder problems. I noticed some bags are used as pet carriers, sporting those little critters with them everywhere. Please let’s not forget the recycle bag. Every store in America has their own recycle bag now (just be sure to wash it regularly!) Diaper bags are really cool now, I would have loved those back when I was shoving everything into my martini bag (what was I setting my kids up for?) Point is…everyone could use a new bag in their life…Let’s have fun next week and bid often (and high!) on your favorite bag.

Check out our site for more information about our event.

Buzz.

No comments: