Thursday, January 21, 2010

Buzzzzzzzzz



Haven't seen the latest Buzz from the Queen Bee? Check it out.

January Buzz

Well, it’s that time of the year, once again, when we all make or break our “New Year’s Resolutions”. I don’t think I’m wrong in saying that most of us could not wait to kick ‘’09” out the door (and give it a good, swift kick in the behind at the same time!) I wonder if there is any significant meaning that it all came down at the end of the first decade of the 21st century. Hmm. Anyway, let’s not go down that path with those nuts who read meaning into apocalyptic proportions; let’s just stick to the facts about New Year’s.

Ok, number one resolution, I’m sure it’s to LOSE WEIGHT. I could be wrong, but judging by the onslaught of Jenny Craig commercials and the spike in gym memberships, I doubt I am. I know this has been my resolution for the past, oh I don’t know, dozen years. I have been SO successful at it that I have actually gained many pounds to prove it! Most people go on a diet, lose some weight and of course gain it all back…with a little extra. So this year I’ve decided to ditch that resolution so at least I would remain at my usual weight and not risk gaining anymore! Genius, I know.

People often say they are going to spend more time with family or connect more with friends, and they probably truly believe it for about a week or two. Then a call comes in from one of your close friends who moved far away and she tells you she will be in town for one night on her way through on a business trip and she wants to meet for dinner. You are so excited and then the bombshell drops; “it’s Tuesday night”, a school night, a work night, you may have to put yourself out and drive 30 minutes into Boston. Ugh. Connecting with friends and family? Not as easy as we think.

Quit smoking or drinking. Yes, this is a common one. I quit smoking over 30 years ago and that was for a boy I was in love with, so no brainer there. The drinking? I don’t want to test the weight loss theory on this one, if you know what I mean!

Exercising more. Well, a girl can dream, right? I actually convinced my wonderful husband to get me a real piece of gym equipment for my Christmas gift and under supreme pressure he did it. This isn’t one of those many different pieces that I have purchased from TV commercials over the years and ended up making for a nice clothing valet in our bedroom or the abs busters that was hidden in many of our closets. This is the real deal, like the machines that are located at my gym that I still pay dues for but never go to! Donna, who works in our Acton showroom, hooked me up with her son Matt at the Gym Source in Newton (that’s right, he just got a plug!), and voila, a few days after Christmas my machine arrived. I am so proud to say, there are no clothes hanging from it! I have a small TV on the wall and “everyday” I go downstairs and do my time while watching the cooking channel. Last week I was so psyched about Tyler’s ultimate chicken legs and pasta dish, I went an extra 10 minutes on that elliptical just to finish the recipe. I was drooling while thinking about making it for dinner that night and thinking what friend or family member I could invite over to connect with again.

Does anyone see how ridiculous this all is? I am running to my elliptical so I can get all whipped up about some delicious dish that I can make as soon as I finish the exercise. Not to worry, like I’ve said in previous buzzes, I love to “watch” the cooking channel but have not quite gotten to the execution part of it. I have to run because I am going to meet me girlfriends, “the dolls”, as I affectionately refer to them. We will probably have a few cocktails. Oh, one noteworthy thing I’m trying this year is to switch from my beloved chardonnay to Vodka. I think it has less calories and I just love saying “Bartender, vodka martini please and make it Dirty…

Peggy Burns
Queen Bee

No comments: