Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What's the Buzz?



From the Queen Bee herself...as Peggy prepares for the "Sustainabilty Summit" that she will sit on a panel for next week, she has also prepared a more, as she says, "sappy" What's the Buzz for November. Well, I say bring it on...with the holidays here, what better time is there to bring out the sappiness. Enjoy!

"I can’t believe it; we’ve come to that time of the year when the days will disappear faster than we ever thought possible. I don’t know how it happens but every year as soon as Thanksgiving approaches it seems like we all begin a complete stampede to the finish line...aka...the end of the holiday season. Why do we need to fit so much living into such a short period of time? Holiday parties, shopping trips, charity events, pageants, concerts; don’t forget your obligatory visit to Aunt Bessie! It all happens in such a short period of time. Think about it. Wouldn’t it be grand to have some of these events to look forward to in February or March when really nothing is happening and we all go into hibernation?

In our house, Thanksgiving is our most favorite holiday and we all wouldn’t mind if it went on for a few weeks. Our family is one of different persuasions so it was the only holiday that we had to share or rotate every year. There is a lot to be said for mixing it up. This year is difficult as we have just suffered the loss of my mother-in-law, so her seat will be empty but she will be with us. We will revel in "Bubbie" stories that will make us cry, but more than ever they will give us so much laughter and joy. It is a time when we reflect on what we are thankful for and what we hope for everyone. We all love to share, not to mention, complain about this relative, sister or friend, and how we don’t look forward to sharing a day with them because of "what happened" years ago, but really, if it weren’t for them who would we complain about? We’d have to be uber-pleasant and who wants that? It’s funny how families or friends can hold these grudges and most of the time no one can even remember why it started... This year I am encouraging everyone to start with a clean slate, LET IT GO, whatever it is and see what happens. I myself cannot even remember who I am supposed to be mad at! See, it works.

I come from a big family, 10 siblings, so I really don’t need to add to my family, but over the years I have accumulated some “sisters”. In fact, my newest “sister” I was lucky enough to find on a trip to Australia, where Eileen and I bonded as new sisters. Families are different for everyone and we all have the ability to make it ours, we can pick them. I know the saying goes you can pick your friends and your nose but not your family (well, something like that!). I think you can make your friends your family. This Thanksgiving we will share with our closest family friends and my "niece and nephew" Jordan and Julia, and it will be the best family celebration. I am so lucky to have all my brothers and sisters and I appreciate them so much; I don’t mind adding a few more. If you all have room at your table, please add another placemat or two, you won’t regret it.

P.S. We are so thankful for Mike Milligan, who will marry my incredible niece Amy this January. Now that the Milligan’s have joined this big family, what a great time to be living! Goes double, as her amazing sister Kelly married the fabulous Chuck Davis this spring. So yes, Patty and Brian…there may be grandchildren just yet, set another place at the table.

2 comments:

BostonMo said...

Now that is one Thanksgiving feast i would love to sit in on! Please enjoy, miss you all!

I will be at Chateau Thompson however, with amy, kelly, chuck, and milli!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to the besst family in Boston! You are the greatest and we love you and everyone on the Boston area should have the opportunity to meet you all and do business with you - what a gift!
Love,
Dorothy